Shopee, the leading e-commerce platform in Southeast Asia and Taiwan, wraps up the year-end shopping season with a record-breaking 12.12. On December 12, 12 million items were sold in the first 24 minutes and at its peak, one million items were bought in a single minute.
Martin Yu, Director at Shopee Philippines, said, “We are humbled to end the year on a high note with a groundbreaking 12.12 Big Christmas Sale. Given the unprecedented year that 2020 has been, we wanted this to be a special day not just for Shopee, but for the people we serve. E-commerce has become of increasing importance in our lives. It has evolved beyond a platform to access basic needs to one that connects people and businesses. We are glad to celebrate the past five years with our users, sellers, and brand partners and are truly excited about what’s to come.”
Shopee ushered in the festive season with fun and convenience
Users joined Shopee every day for four weeks of fun and entertainment leading up to December 12, where they shopped for over 2 billion products. Consumers also spent more time on Shopee’s in-app games and features.
- 450 million views were recorded on Shopee Live across the entire 12.12
- Shopee’s in-app games were played a record of 7 billion times
- Two of Shopee’s newest games, Shopee Bubble and Shopee Candy, were big hits with a total of 28 million hours played
The surge in shopping activity was also met with the increasing adoption of digital payments. Users enjoyed the convenience of ShopeePay, with orders paid via the mobile wallet surging 18 times.
12.12 Big Christmas Sale in the Philippines:
In the Philippines, Filipinos enjoyed a constant stream of deals on December 12, supported by Shopee’s robust ecosystem.
Filipinos shopped for their home and entertainment needs with Home & Living, Mobile Accessories, and Fashion emerging as the best-selling product categories.
- Home & Living: Consumers took the time to revamp their homes, with 1.5 million home decor products such as curtains, wallpapers, and 3D wall stickers sold.
- Mobile Accessories: Smartphone accessories were a big priority as people geared up for the festive season. A total of one million smartphone accessories were sold, with phone cases, phone covers, and power banks being the most popular.
- Fashion: There was a strong demand for fashion products, with 1.6 million tops sold. More Filipinos also focused on fitness with over 57,000 sports bras sold.
Powered by the surge in shopping activity, sales peaked for local businesses on Shopee. One top seller recorded more than 75,000 orders within 24 hours on December 12.
Yu closed, “We are extremely grateful for the unwavering support that our users, sellers, and brand partners have shown us. As we look ahead, we will continue meeting the needs of our local communities; making online shopping accessible, easy, and enjoyable for users; and helping businesses realize the growth opportunities for e-commerce in the region. We look forward to continuing creating new experiences and value for everyone in 2021.”
Shop from the 12.12 Thank You Sale at https://shopee.ph/m/christmas-sale.
Download Shopee for free on the App Store or Google Play Store.